Coaches change lives. Coaches inspire their athletes to be active, to challenge themselves, to strive for excellence and to have fun.
Coaching Association of Canada
Consider how to enrich your program with physical literacy to make sure your athletes have the building blocks they need for life-long enjoyment and sporting success.
Physical literacy is a journey that begins when we give kids a chance to develop the skills, confidence and love of movement they need to be active for life. Learn more.
A Coach's Role
PHYSICALLY LITERATE ATHLETES
- have the opportunity to reach their maximum potential
- demonstrate more creativity and adaptability in game play
- succeed in a variety of sports
- enjoy participating in sports well into adulthood
Raising physically literate kids takes the combined efforts of many. Reach out to recreation leaders, childcare providers, educators, families, and others to see how you can work together to make physical literacy a priority for the kids you all care about.
- Enrich your sport program by integrating physical literacy.
- Follow Canada’s Long-term Athlete Development recommendations for training and development.
- Integrate fun and variety in practice.
- Provide appropriate and meaningful competition.
Help your participants, parents, league officials and others understand the importance of building physical literacy into programs. Download these tools to share in newsletters, social media and emails.
Don't Forget to Play
In a Tim Horton’s commercial, Sidney Crosby and Nathan MacKinnon used puppies, farting goalie pads and a pinata to make hockey practice more fun.
It's a perfect way to increase confidence, competence and motivation and a great example of a physical literacy-enriched hockey practice!
The Results are In!
Hey Coaches! Spark an interest in physical literacy.
Comfortable sticking with “old school” sport and coaching philosophies? Let's make a paradigm shift and get coaches talking about physical literacy. It's good for sport, great for life!Check Out the Survey Results
Last Updated: 04-Jun-2021